Posted by: zephaniah317 | February 21, 2007

J & N’s Excellent Adventure – Day 8 – Release

Resting Comfortably

Greetings and good evening from Rolla, Missouri!  It’s been a long day…longer for J than me, actually.  His started this morning before I got up and blogged my most recent post, around 3:30.  How can I put this delicately?…Tex Mex, the soup that eats like a meal…twice!  😉  As a result, he tried to spend most of the day relaxing in Bandit 2, and I was more than happy to oblige.

I stopped by and said goodbye to Dad this morning, along with my cousin M.  Update on one of the situations that was keeping me awake last night:  My cousin M is a city cop in Plainview and came and got Dad’s loaded revolver, no big deal (hey, we’re in Texas – they give out concealed weapon permits down here like they’re goin’ outta style).  Said he’ll try to get him a permit and they’ll keep the gun (which M really liked) in the car.  Dad was sad to see me go.  More on that in a minute.  I also stopped by to see my Aunt A – she’s really cool.  Glad I got to do that.  Went back to the hotel, picked up J, and we were off, after a quick stop to clean some old Dad junk out of Bandit 2.

As I’ve driven away from Dad and Texas today, I’ve realized what an attack/cloud I’ve been under the past couple of days.  I think it’s a comfort zone for my Dad to be able to tell me what to do, remind me of obvious things to do (“did you lock the car, son?”; “it’s green, son”; etc.).  It has been such a drain to get Dad moved in and take care of him the past two days.  He depends solely on me when I’m around, yet is unwilling to change any of his opinions (sickly J pointed that out).  Even as I was driving tonight, Dad called and told me he was worried (like, having a cow worried) about me driving late with as little sleep as I got last night.  It hit me square between the eyes how my parents sheltered me so much that my heart got squished early on in life, and I eventually believed that not only was I not capable of doing risky/adventurous things (or even not-so-risky things), but that I shouldn’t do them, as well.  But, that’s another post.

So, with all that said, now I can forgive my folks and release them, knowing that this is a generational thing, that my parents went through the same stuff with their parents, and I can stop it with God’s help.  Wise man once said, “don’t let another’s sin become your own.”  😉  In any case, sadly, it’s good to get away from TX and put Dad in hands that are more capable than mine, at least at this point in the game.

This has been a great trip.  In the words of HyperStatic Union, “You’ve got me right where you want me, You’ve put me in my place, You’ve got me right where you want me, and I’ve never felt better.”

Anyway, J is feeling better and already crashed in bed.  I’m not far behind him, but first, some pics:

This, ladies and gentlemen, is a cotton gin, and yes, those are piles of cotton:
Coming to a Shirt or Bedsheet near you...

Then, in Oklahoma, we saw this. Yes, it’s approximately 3 stories high, maybe more, and can be seen for about 2 miles:
Everything's BIGGER in Texazzzz...

Then, not 1/2 mile down the road, we saw this. I have no idea what to make of it:
Leaning Tower of...what...water?  I give up.

Ah, town names…for a split second, I thought we were making really friggin’ good time getting home:
What the....?

Then, I thought we missed our stop:
Yes, that blur at the top of the sign says 'Afton'

We also saw some more amazing windmills today while driving through Oklahoma:
These things are at least as tall as that cross
...and there's a BUNCH of 'em

Finally, God worked another good thing today in the life of our vehicles. J noticed last night (as I said in my previous post) that the instrument panel in Bandit 2 was not lighting up when the headlights were on. I checked a couple of fuses this morning, but they were good. As we neared darkness this evening, we checked the tail lights as we stopped for dinner (my cousins in TX told me they might be out if the inst. panel was out). Sure enough, they were right. No tail lights. Brakes and blinkers worked, but not constant light from the tail of the vehicle. So, remembering the suggestion again of my cousin this morning, I started checking every fuse, not just the ones that I thought should be blown according to the user’s manual. Sure enough, I found a bad one:

…and, the fuse panel had a spare, so I replaced it, the tail lights and the instrument panel worked (it’s always good to be able to see the speedometer, especially at night), and instead of having to call our travel day early on account of darkness, we drove ’til 8:30, and here we are. It’s not as cool a story as the windshield wiper thing (they never stopped working the rest of the trip to Plainview, by the way), but still worthy of a praise to the Big Guy upstairs. Thanks, Lord.



  1. It’s good to hear your on your way back home…and away from your cloud 😉 Sorry J had a not so good night….:( Sounds like your making good spiritual progress…can’t wait to talk when you get back. See ya soon!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: